2012年9月12日 星期三

Attaining Peace and Quiet


There are plenty of things we need as human beings, but one of the most neglected, is peace and quiet. Or more specifically, an absence of distraction and stimulation. We live in a frantic society, where we're constantly bombarded by news, media, gadgets, family, friends, telephones, computers, television and work. It's a wonder, more of us don't go crazy. I work from home, and have three small children. Thankfully, they're all in school, otherwise, very little work would get done. My most peaceful time of day, is the moment they're off to school and I know things will be quiet. I know I have hours of time to do what I deem important.

Every work day morning, it feels like I have my whole life in front of me. My spouse is off to work, the kids are at school, and the dog is asleep. Since I work for myself, I pretty much set my own agenda, and schedule. Even though, I have a full day of work ahead of me, it feels like a big weight has been lifted of my shoulders. I know I can concentrate on what I need to do, and if I can get on a roll, I'll get plenty of things done.

I've always been a fairly quiet person, even as a child. As I grew, into my teenage years, I remember moments seeking out locations where I knew I would have moments of quiet solitude. We used to have an apartment that we rented in on of the big houses I grew up in. It was closed off from the rest of the house. Since it was old, and kind of retro fitted to an older house, the layout was a little odd. The washroom for example, was kind of in the middle of the apartment, with no windows. I often preferred to use that washroom as it was fairly isolated from the rest of the house and sort of felt like being in a sensory deprivation tank. When I worked in office towers, which rarely offered much quiet, I would still manage to find some on my lunch hours and coffee breaks. There was a hotel adjoining one of the office buildings, and I would often just find a sitting area on one of the floors where I could just sit, or sit and read. The pool had a very peaceful observation area with couches and very little foot traffic.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to find these little hideaway places, but I know they were essential to my well being. Having an opportunity to just be with yourself, and not having to wear a mask or appearance for the benefit of others is a calming feeling. Most people who have an office job, never see that benefit. They have to expend energy sustaining the facade of a good employee, while at the same time doing their job. Whatever that is. I never really thought of it before, but it's nice to be able to truly be myself, while doing the work I enjoy. It's liberating, and very honest.

Some, some would argue, that I'm not truly in a world of piece and quiet when I start my work day, that's fine. But I am in a much more quiet and honest environment to do what I need to do. I generally try not to worry about what others think, or feel that I'm putting on a brave face for their benefit. At the very least, I think what we need from peace and quiet, is a chance to be ourselves. Our real selves. Our honest selves. While That's not where I was going when I started this piece, that seems to be where I've ended. Peace and quiet means a chance for us to be 100 percent honest. It's a good place to be. At leas for a few more hours.




If you enjoyed this article on peace and quiet, don't miss out on the latest news on peace and quiet as it happens.





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

沒有留言:

張貼留言