2012年1月31日 星期二

Foot Pain From Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy


The type of foot pain that this report refers to, is caused by Sensory Peripheral Neuropathy, but for completeness, I must mention some other types of Neuropathy.

Motor Peripheral Neuropathy causes muscle soreness and imbalance, or instability, because the muscle nerves have been damaged. Autonomic Neuropathy affects perspiration and reflexes which are managed by the brain. Autonomic Neuropathy in diabetics can cause skin thickening, cracks and corns on the feet. This opens the door to bacterial infections, and in the worst case scenario, surgical removal.

If you do have type 2 Diabetes you could possibly develop Sensory Neuropathy which can usually affect the feet first, then torso and the hands. The foot pain can be intense, unpredictable, sleep depriving, and, at this time, incurable.

High blood glucose levels over many years is the cause of this foot pain Neuropathy, or damaging of the nerves. The condition starts off as a tingling sensation or numbness, then can escalate to feeling like a severe sunburn, and eventually severe, a stabbing foot pain. The slightest contact with a bed sheet could cause excruciating foot pain. Whilst the feet, hands and legs are the usual place affected by the foot pain Neuropathy, nerves elsewhere in the body are also susceptible. Trying to get to sleep when affected by the worst of these symptoms is just about impossible.

Temporary foot pain relief. Although pain plays an important part in our body's defence strategy, we do not have to grit our teeth, and put up with it. There are special creams available for temporarily relieving the symptoms of this condition. The relieving cream can be applied as needed, throughout the day, for the symptoms of burning, itching and dryness of the skin.

I couldn't count the number of times that I sat on the edge of my bed after trying in vain to sleep, the burning, and jabbing foot pain was just too much. This was how I discovered that the cooling effect of the cold tiles eased the burning in my feet, and when I walked around barefoot on the cool tiles; the walking seemed to increase blood circulation in my feet, and the relief was nearly complete.

This led me to another discovery. I filled a large bowl with cool water and placed it, and a hand towel, under my bed. Then when the foot pain became too much I would drag it out, dunk my throbbing feet in until they had cooled down, dry them with the towel, walk around for a while before getting into bed. Oh Yeah!...That's better.

Needing a lengthier period of respite from this searing foot pain, I browsed the web for any other potential answers. A gadget called a TENS unit came to my attention. TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) is an electronic device that offered foot pain relief without harmful side effects.

Battery powered, the TENS unit creates electrical impulses which are sent to the nerve ends which are transmitting foot pain signals to the brain. The foot pain messages are blocked by the impulses, and the brain also increases the production of endorphins which are our body's natural analgesics.

Self adhesive pads, or electrodes, need to be positioned correctly, relating to the foot pain. The reusable pads are then connected to the TENS by a fine cable. The unit settings are adjusted for the type and strength of the impulses, and the automatic timer set.

After only a few weeks using the TENS I have noticed great progress. My feet have improved so much that they do not worry me at night any more, so now I am concentrating on the hands, which have only just started giving me concern.

By passing the wires down my trouser legs from the TENS to my feet I have perfect freedom to sit or walk without any hassles. Initially the program took 100 minutes to go through the 5 different phases, but now it has been reduced to 45 minutes and 3 phases.

Prescription drugs. The only prescription drug that I am using is Lyrica which is usually prescribed for Epilepsy. The use of Lyrica for foot pain Neuropathy is not covered by the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme since it's On-Label use is for the treatment of Epilepsy, so I pay the full price of about AU$150 per month for a 75mg and a 150mg capsule each day.

Lyrica is effective in controlling the foot pain, although the side issues are disturbing; the drugged state that I live in, and the loss of memory, which I hope is temporary. These factors, as well as the expense, are the main reasons that I would like to minimise the use of Lyrica. The TENS treatment has allowed me to reduce the Lyrica dose to two 75mg capsules daily. This has freed me from the Zombie stage somewhat, and reduced the medicine bill to AU$85 per month.

Only time will tell, but if I can halve my dose of Lyrica with the use of my TENS unit, I would be very happy.

Please be warned that worse could be still coming. The foot pain that a Diabetes Mellitus patient suffersis not the whole story, but is a warning of worse things to come. Complications such as kidney failure, blindness, and a breakdown of the immune system could be coming.




http://footpain-diabetic.com will publish updates on my foot pain progress using the TENS unit, as well as critical information on the placement of electrodes, and suggestions about Tens unit Programs. And Lots More. Leave a comment and get an instant download of my FREE Report "Understanding Diabetes"





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

沒有留言:

張貼留言